On November 19, 2021, Women in Niagara (WIN), a council of the Greater Niagara Chamber of Commerce (GNCC), held the annual Women in Business Awards to honour the outstanding achievements of Niagara’s leaders in business and non-profits.
Awards were given in many categories recognizing entrepreneurship, community contribution, the arts, non-profits, science, and health care.
“Every year, we are astounded at the leadership and achievements of Niagara’s female leaders and entrepreneurs,” said Grace Eldajani, Chair of Women in Niagara. “To have so many candidates for these awards is a great problem to have. It really shows how Niagara women are stepping up and stepping forward.”
General Motors’ Carolyne Watts was presented with a lifetime achievement award in recognition of her trailblazing career in automotive manufacturing and her support of women in STEM careers.
The award winners at the 2021 WIBAs were:
- Business that Gives Back: CAA Niagara
- Community Impact Award: Maria Mavridis, Anchor Niagara
- Corporate Leadership Award: Sara Holmes, Meridian Credit Union
- Cultural Arts Award: Diana McAdorey , Chorus Niagara
- Emerging Business Award: Donna Martens, Pure Non-Scents Ltd.
- Entrepreneurship: Kelly Braun, Kraun Electric
- Excellence in Non-Profit: Elisabeth Zimmermann, YWCA Niagara Region
- Health Care Hero: Nicole Johnson, Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
- Innovations in Hospitality and Tourism: Ann Marie Nitsopoulos, Old Stone Inn Boutique Hotel
- Science and Technology Award: Sabine Steinbrecher , Learning Library Inc. / Hiveologie
- Young Professional Award: Kailene Jackson, CIVICONNECT Youth Community Engagement Org.
“It is truly inspirational to gather once again and to see the incredible work being done throughout these difficult times,” said Mishka Balsom, CEO of the GNCC. “We hope that these bold and forward-thinking women will inspire others – it is truly the key to unlocking the potential of our community.”
Information on all recipients and finalists can be found here: https://gncc.ca/women-in-business-awards/
The Greater Niagara Chamber of Commerce is the voice of business in Niagara, the largest business organization in the region and the second-largest Chamber of Commerce in Ontario. More information on the GNCC is available at gncc.ca.
Mishka Balsom, CEO of GNCC
Mishka@gncc.ca or 905-684-2361