In this edition:
- New life to be breathed into former Ohio Brass factory in Niagara Falls
- Strikes at 2 more U.S. auto factories to Friday as UAW ratchets up pressure
- 70% chance of a soft landing, former Bank of Canada governor says
- Federal Court of Appeal rules against Google in privacy law case
- Lincoln to discuss short-term accommodations regulation and taxation
- Canada’s voluntary AI code of conduct is coming — not everyone is enthused
- Focus on Small Business
New life to be breathed into former Ohio Brass factory in Niagara Falls
New life is to be breathed into the former Canadian Ohio Brass Co. building in Niagara Falls.
Niagara Ports Network is now leasing the 32,500-square-metre facility at 5881 Thorold Stone Rd.
The joint venture by BMI Group and Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority will redevelop, market and manage the building for a new generation of industrial users and offer warehousing, manufacturing and office space.
BMI Group and Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority are working together to showcase how legacy industrial sites can be transformed to support modern industry and employment.
Strikes at 2 more U.S. auto factories to start Friday as UAW ratchets up pressure
The United Auto Workers union is expanding its strike against U.S. automakers to two new plants, as 7,000 workers at a Ford plant in Chicago and a General Motors assembly factory near Lansing, Mich., will walk off the job at midday on Friday.
Union president Shawn Fain told workers on a video appearance Friday that negotiations haven’t broken down but Ford and GM have refused to make meaningful progress.
“Despite our willingness to bargain, Ford and GM have refused to make meaningful progress,” Fain said. “That’s why at noon eastern we will expand our strike to these two companies.”
70% chance of a soft landing, former Bank of Canada governor says
A former deputy governor of the Bank of Canada says the central bank’s aggressive rate hikes have effectively slowed the economy, making a soft landing likely, though he cautions that outcome is not guaranteed.
Should the trend of sticky inflation continue, the chance for a soft economic landing will become less probable, Paul Beaudry, former deputy governor of the Bank of Canada, told BNN Bloomberg in a television interview on Monday.
“I would only say there’s a 60 to 70 per cent chance of a soft landing, but there’s still 30 per cent of it going the other way,” said Beaudry, who left his position at the Bank of Canada in July.
Federal Court of Appeal rules against Google in privacy law case
The Federal Court of Appeal has rejected an attempt by Google to overturn a decision that found the company’s search engine is covered by Canada’s privacy law, marking another victory for people seeking a digital “right to be forgotten.”
The court ruled Friday in a 2-1 decision to uphold a 2021 decision by the Federal Court.
The federal privacy commissioner referred the case to the Federal Court asking if Google’s search engine should be excluded from the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act after a man alleged Google was breaching Canada’s privacy law.
Lincoln to discuss short-term accommodations regulation and taxation
The Town of Lincoln will host Public Meetings to discuss the Short-Term Accommodations (STA) Licensing By-Law, Amendments to the Zoning By-Law and Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT) in Lincoln. The amendments to the existing Zoning By-law provisions and the implementation of a Licensing By-Law propose to regulate and license Short-Term Accommodations (STA) for the purpose of protecting the health and safety of persons residing in residential properties, minimizing potential impacts to surrounding properties and neighbourhoods, and to protect the residential character and stability of residential areas within the Town.
A MAT is a tax imposed by a local government or municipality on lodging establishments, including hotels, motels, inns, and more. It is collected from guests during their stay and serves as a revenue stream for tourism, including tourism promotion, infrastructure development, and public services.
Companies working with AI in Canada are being presented with a new voluntary code of conduct around how advanced generative artificial intelligence is used and developed in this country.
And while there has already been support from the business community, there are also concerns being raised that it could stifle innovation and the ability to compete with companies based outside of Canada.
Advanced generative artificial intelligence often refers to the types of AI that can produce content. ChatGPT is a popular example, but most systems that generate audio, video, images or text would count as well.
Did you know?
Focus on Small Business
9 tech resolutions for your business
Investing in technology can be a challenge for entrepreneurs. But if done properly, information and communications technology (ICT) can be a game-changer for your business. It can boost productivity; accelerate sales; and even open up new markets. Here are 9 resolutions to help ensure your business reaps the benefits.
How To Market Your Small Business
As a small business owner, it can sometimes feel like you’re constantly spinning plates, from accounting tasks to the physical daily operations of your business. It’s no wonder that when you add marketing into the mix, you have no idea where to turn. Marketing as a concept is something that, unless they’re in the field, most don’t have a clue what it is, let alone understand how to develop an effective marketing strategy for their business.
Marketing is an ever-evolving function that props up every business that we know today. That’s why it’s crucial that all business owners stay on top of trends, understand the importance and invest their money into them correctly. But where to begin in the plethora of social media channels and abbreviated terms? Well, let me tell you.
Through the Daily Updates, the GNCC aims to deliver important business news in a timely manner. We disseminate all news and information we feel will be important to businesses. Inclusion in the Daily Update is not an endorsement by the GNCC.