The 2021 Canada Games Host Society Inc., a non-for-profit organization requests a proposal for the design, fabrication and possible installation of venue recognition signage for the venues and municipalities that were host to the Niagara 2022 Canada Summer Games to serve as a lasting legacy acknowledging these sites as a host and partner of our games.
Email Intent to submit by Monday January 4th, 2021 prior to 4:00 p.m.
Proposals to be completed and submitted by Friday January 29th, 2021 prior to 4:00 p.m.
Intent, submissions and questions are to be sent to the contact listed at the end of this RFP. Any communications to the referenced contact should have a subject line of “RFP – Name of RFP” for quick reference.
SECTION ONE | INTRODUCTION
About the Niagara 2022 Canada Summer Games [Niagara 2022 CSG]
At the peak of Niagara’s boldest summer yet, more than 5,000 young athletes and their coaches will gather to compete for the podium in Canada’s largest multi-sport event. On its road to glory, this shining generation of hopefuls will leave its mark on our community and on the country – transforming, inspiring, and unifying us all through the power of sport.
As ambassadors of Niagara’s unrivaled warmth and compassion, thousands of volunteers will play host to the nation. The Niagara 2022 Canada Summer Games will celebrate the wonder of sport alongside arts and culture. The Games will honour our indigenous communities, and showcase a remarkable heritage of hard work and innovation in one of the world’s most awe-inspiring destinations.
With world-renowned hospitality, the people of Niagara will welcome visitors from across the country. Spirited events, spectacular entertainment, and the theatre of elite competition will spark new energy in the region as our streets, skies, and waterways shimmer with ceremony and celebration that is befitting of Canada’s best young athletes.
From August 6 to 21, 2022, Niagara will surge stronger than ever on the national stage. The Games will give rise to a new legacy of ambition, confidence, and compassion that will inspire for generations to come.
About the 2022 Canada Games Host Society
In preparation for the games, a Host Society has been established and led by a Board of Directors that is composed of passionate, experienced and accomplished sport and community leaders.
The goals of the Host Society are to:
- Provide a phenomenal experience for the athletes and other participants at the Niagara 2022 CSG. An experience that will propel their development, allow them to perform their best and inspire them to dream big
- Provide a legacy of sport infrastructure and programs that are vital for Niagara, Ontario, and Canadian sport development
- Provide a legacy of infrastructure, community programs and unify a spirit that will be transformative for Niagara
- Provide an unmatched podium and partnership for the Canada Games Council to build upon the success of previous Canada Games and strengthen the Canada Games property
SECTION TWO | SCOPE OF WORK
The Host Society is seeking a creative individual, group or organization to design, fabricate and possibly install 18 venue recognition signs. These signs are intended to be a legacy of the Niagara 2022 CSG as well as a beautiful and commemorative source of pride for the venue owners as a recognition of their key partnership with the Games. Each sign / art piece will acknowledge that the community was host to the Niagara 2022 CSG. This may include acknowledging the sport(s) or cultural activity featured in that community.
Responsibilities would include but are not limited to:
- Sign / Art design in collaboration with the Niagara 2022 Canada Games Host Society’s evaluation committee
- Production of sign elements
- Coordinating delivery of the signs to each venue with the support of the Niagara 2022 Canada Games Host Society
- Coordinating and executing the installation of the recognition signs where applicable
The design of these commemorative signs are flexible and we are open to the creative ideas of the chosen proposer. The goal is to have signs that are equal parts recognition and art. The signs do not necessarily need to be identical, however it is crucial they are complementary. Proposers are welcome to submit multiple design examples (with associated costs) in their proposal.
The Host Society requests that the design element of the proposal include the following components:
- A creative design reflective of quality workmanship
- Integration of the Niagara 2022 CSG brand, following the brand guidelines
- Integration of the turtle and it’s story (see below) as this is an essential components of our Games’ identity
- Sustainable features wherever possible
- Easy to recognize and read
- Adherence to accessibility sign standards wherever possible
- Options for both interior and exterior signs with the intent that each venue will decide which version they would prefer
- A design that can be scaled up or down in size to accommodate the variety of venues and install locations (all install locations are TBD)
The Story of The Turtle
The turtle as the choice of mascot for the Niagara 2022 CSG was made for its significant connections to the Indigenous community, Canada and the Canada Games.
The turtle has been an important animal and symbol for many First Nations people, who believed that North America was created by a huge turtle. Some even call the Niagara Escarpment the backbone, or heart, of what they refer to as “Turtle Island”.
A turtle’s shell typically has 13 large sections bordered by 28 smaller sections, and the Niagara 2022 Canada Games are taking place in the Niagara Region which is made up of 12 municipalities plus one region (13) where all 13 provinces and territories will compete; and this will be the 28th iteration of the Canada Games to take place since its inception in 1967.
Additionally, there are eight turtle species found in Niagara and Southern Ontario. In fact, Southern Ontario happens to have the most turtles and the most types of turtles than anywhere else in Canada, all of which are at-risk species. The Niagara 2021 Canada Summer Games is proud to support organizations whose mission is to protect and conserve Ontario’s native turtles and their habitats through various turtle sustainability initiatives.
Fabrication and Delivery
It is the intention that the successful proposer will produce or fabricate all design elements and arrange for delivery to each venue. The Niagara 2022 Canada Games Host Society will support the delivery coordination efforts as we do not encourage direct communications with individual venues regarding the Games without being filtered through our venue communication processes.
The requirement for the successful incumbent to install the signs will be determined based on the venue’s procedures, the nature of the design itself, the location of the install, as well as any other considerations and protocols. We request that each proposal include the willingness and capability for such installations, as well as listing any costs associated with installation as a separate price. This effort will be supported by the Host Society as required or requested.
SECTION THREE | RFP SCHEDULE OVERVIEW
- RFP issued: Friday December 4th, 2020
- Emailed Notice of Intent: Monday January 4th, 2021
- Proposals & Supporting Documents: Friday January 29th, 2021
- Decision Date Friday: February 26th 2021
SECTION FOUR | RFP SCORING
Submitted proposals will be scored as follows:
- Responsiveness to scope of work: 25%
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in similar projects: 20%
- Cost effectiveness: 20%
- Value In-Kind opportunities (either budget relief and/or project enhancements): 30%
- Comprehensiveness: 3%
- Company Profile: 2%
SECTION FIVE | RESPONSE SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS
Responsiveness to Scope of Work
We are seeking comprehensive and informative proposals that clearly outline your ability to fulfill our requirements. Information to include in your proposal include and are not limited to the following:
- Key Dates / Critical Path (in a days out from installation format as our required date for installation is to be determined on a venue by venue basis)
- Examples or Mock-up for potential design(s). Proposers are welcome to submit various designs, and examples of designs from past projects
- Breakdown of all cost and fees for each element of the project
- Identification of any phases of the project that will be subcontracted out and to whom
Please provide a brief history of you and/or your organization, and if you intend to subcontract some of the work, include their information in this RFP as well.
If one person will have the primary responsibility for this project, provide us with their information and relevant resume.
Demonstrated Experience and Expertise in Similar Projects
Please outline a detailed summary of at least one (2) comparable projects which the proposer has completed in the last three to five years. For each referenced project, please make certain to include all relevant details such as:
- Description of scope of project
- Time to execute each phase of the project
- Cost and associated fees
- Visuals of design or design options
- Visuals of final product
- Lessons Learned
Submissions are encouraged to include submission that will be accessible to all users no matter the disability.
Submissions are encouraged to incorporate measures to ensure their materials are designed and produced in a sustainable and environmentally friendly manner.
Our decision process will be to secure a partner who’s services best delivers the goals of the Niagara 2022 CSG , while also being cost effective. Current budget associated with this RFP is approximately $5000 plus HST per unit; however negotiable based on strategy put forth.
The Niagara 2022 CSG Host Society is not solely looking for a vendor with a fee for service approach. Instead, it is our belief that all partners associated with the Niagara 2022 CSG become strategic event partners offering both fee for service; as well as, Value In-Kind (VIK) opportunities.
We encourage proposers to include budget relieving VIK (a reduction in cost to the requirements outlined in the Scope of Work), as well as enhanced VIK (additional services or features, not specifically outlined in the Scope of Work).
In addition, as a host society we are continually seeking cash sponsorship opportunities as well. Any interest in cash sponsorship can be submitted in conjunction with or separate from submitted proposals.
SECTION SIX | FP GENERAL
Please provide the name, address, and phone number of three (3) current or recently past clients, who would be capable of explaining and confirming your or your firm’s capacity to successfully complete the scope of the work outlined herein.
All material produced, data collected, and reports generated by the subcontractor on behalf of Niagara 2022 CSG are confidential and become exclusive property of Niagara 2022 CSG. The contractor may not share program materials, customer data, industry or program participant contact information, etc. unless explicitly authorized by Niagara 2022 CSG to do so.
This RFP does not commit to pay any costs incurred in the preparation of a proposal or to procure or contract for services. Niagara 2022 CSG reserves the right to accept or reject any or all proposals received as a result of this RFP, to negotiate with all qualified bidders and to cancel the RFP, in part or in its entirety at its sole discretion.
Niagara 2022 CSG reserves the right to refuse to work with any partners, vendors or sponsors that may reflect negatively on the organization or any Games stakeholder.
Additional Information or Clarification
All questions and requests for clarification should be submitted with the contact listed below. Questions and answers will be documented and distributed to all bidders. If necessary, an addendum will be issued.
Please be certain to include the name and contact details of the persons to be approached for clarification of the proposal if needed.
Niagara 2022 CSG requires one (1) electronic copy of your proposal along with a photo portfolio and/or website hyperlink.
Submissions are to be sent to:
Courtney Roffel, MBA
Specialist, Fit-Out | Look & Signage
2022 Canada Summer Games