The 2021 Canada Games Host Society Inc., a non-for-profit organization requests a proposal for a qualified festival event production & management firm to further develop, manage and produce a fifteen (15) day outdoor festival at Niagara Place, located at Canada Games Park during the Niagara 2021 Canada Summer Games.
Email Intent to submit by Friday, May 8th, 2020 prior to 4:00 p.m.
Proposals to be completed and submitted by Friday, May 22nd, 2020 prior to 4:00 p.m.
SECTION ONE | INTRODUCTION
About the Niagara Canada Summer Games [Niagara 2021 CSG]
At the peak of Niagara’s boldest summer yet, more than 5,000 young athletes and their coaches will gather to compete for the podium in Canada’s largest multi-sport event. On its road to glory, this shining generation of hopefuls will leave its mark on our community and on the country – transforming, inspiring, and unifying us all through the power of sport.
As ambassadors of Niagara’s unrivaled warmth and compassion, thousands of volunteers will play host to the nation. The Niagara 2021 Canada Summer Games will celebrate the wonder of sport alongside arts and culture. The Games will honour our indigenous communities, and showcase a remarkable heritage of hard work and innovation in one of the world’s most awe-inspiring destinations.
With world-renowned hospitality, the people of Niagara will welcome visitors from across the country. Spirited events, spectacular entertainment, and the theatre of elite competition will spark new energy in the region as our streets, skies, and waterways shimmer with ceremony and celebration that is befitting of Canada’s best young athletes.
From August 6th to 21st, 2021, Niagara will surge stronger than ever on the national stage. The Games will give rise to a new legacy of ambition, confidence, and compassion that will inspire generations to come.
About the 2021 Canada Games Host Society
In preparation for the games, a Host Society has been established and led by a Board of Directors that is composed of passionate, experienced and accomplished sport and community leaders.
The goals of the Host Society are to:
- Provide a phenomenal experience for the athletes and other participants at the Niagara 2021 CSG. An experience that will propel their development, allow them to perform their best and inspire them to dream big
- Provide a legacy of sport infrastructure and programs that are vital for Niagara, Ontario, and Canadian sport development
- Provide a legacy of infrastructure, community programs and unify a spirit that will be transformative for Niagara
- Provide an unmatched podium and partnership for the Canada Games Council to build upon the success of previous Canada Games and strengthen the Canada Games property
SECTION TWO | SCOPE OF WORK
Festival Dates: Saturday, August 7th, 2021 – Saturday, August 21st, 2021. 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily
Niagara Place is an outdoor (rain or shine) free festival event intended to capture and celebrate the “flavour” of Niagara through local talent, arts and cultural performances, exhibits and include elements of Niagara’s culinary scene; combining local wineries, breweries and restaurants. Niagara Place should also be inclusive of both Niagara’s Francophone and Indigenious communities.
Serving also as a gathering place to the target audiences during the two-week scheduled sporting competition of Outdoor Volleyball, Box Lacrosse, and Athletics, the Niagara Place festival event site will be located on the established parking lot at Canada Games Park. (corner of Sir Isaac Brock Way & Merrittville Highway – Thorold, ON) Festival programming will commence daily at 10:00 a.m. and conclude at 5:00 p.m.
- Residents of Niagara Region, Ontario & Canada at Large
- Niagara Event Stakeholders |Business Community
- Canada Games Stakeholders
- 2021 Canada Games Athletes, Coaches & Sporting Organizations
- Schools and Children/Youth
- Event Spectators | Partners | Venues | Sponsors
The Niagara 2021 CSG is seeking a strategic, creative and passionate firm for this partnership. The firm must have broad festival experience, not just with community events and concerts but also with bilingual, cultural and indigenous events to be able to create a wholesome, family-oriented experience in collaboration with the Niagara 2021 CSG. Experience working with a public agency or governmental entity is considered an asset.
Production and management services would include and are not limited to:
- Festival design production in collaboration with Niagara 2021 CSG
- Full service on-site event management (e.g. guest safety, logistics, managing volunteers, and artist management)
- Working with Niagara 2021 GSC entertainment provider to coordinate performance production (stage, lighting, sound, artist riders, sponsor signage etc.)
- Coordination of required permitting with City of Thorold, Niagara Region and/or Province
- Engaging of staff, personnel, volunteers, security, emergency services etc.
- Coordinate venue load-in and load-out, event set-up and tear down
- Coordination and contracting of food vendors, beverage vendors, retailers
- Coordination with various sponsors to fulfill onsite activations asset delivery
- Event budget management
SECTION THREE | RFP SCHEDULE OVERVIEW
- RFP issued April 28th, 2020
- Emailed Notice of Intent May 8th, 2020
- Proposals & Supporting Documents May 22nd, 2020
- Decision Date Mid-June 2020
- Contract Start Date September 2020
- Delivery Date Games Time – August 7th – August 21st, 2021
- Contract Conclusion Date August 31st, 2021
The successful firm will take over Niagara Place planning logistics commencing on September 1st, 2020 and conclude on August 31st, 2021; ensuring full event wrap-up, including all required final event reports.
SECTION FOUR | RFP SCORING
Submitted proposals will be scored as follows:
- Event Production & Management Experience 10%
- Firm Profile & Event Team Expertise 10%
- Event Strategy & Approach 30%
- Event Timelines | Critical Path 5%
- Entertainment Programming 10%
- Volunteer Management 5%
- Sustainability & Accessibility 5%
- Fees 20%
- Final Reporting Process 5%
SECTION FIVE | RESPONSE SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS
Event Production & Management Experience
Please outline a detailed summary of at least one (1) comparable project (similar in scope of those requested herein) which the proposer has either ongoing or completed within the last three years. For each referenced project, please make certain to include relevant details such as:
- Client, Event Name & Date
- Event Description
- Event Purpose, Mission and Objectives
- Event Strategy Development including Risk Management
- Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
- Entertainment Programming
- Commentary on how sponsorship opportunities were identified and sold
- Contact person and phone number for reference
- Event Outcomes
Firm Profile & Event Team Expertise
Please provide a brief history of your firm, including the year it was established, along with an organizational chart.
If you intend to subcontract some of the proposed work to another firm, similar information should be provided for each subcontractor/subconsultant or participant in the RFP.
Additionally, please provide the name(s) and resume(s) for your firm’s principals. Be sure to indicate the amount of involvement the principals will have on this account.
Finally, please provide the resume of the team leader that will have the primary responsibility of managing the day-to-day oversight of this account.
It is important to note that the Niagara 2021 CSG will consider proposals of collaborative efforts between multiple companies as long as there is one lead contact for this special project.
Event Strategy & Approach
Describe firm’s strategy and approach to designing the Niagara Place Festival. Elements should include:
- Lay-out; beautification and pageantry.
- Vendor Services Plan; including but not limited to providing food, alcoholic beverages, non-alcoholic beverages, retail goods, and community services.
- Guest Safety Plan; including provisions for crowd control, Niagara Place capacity, emergency services, severe weather, etc.
- Cultural and Entertainment Program including event enhancements and/or additions such as gateway experiences, pre and post show events; educational and instrument-playing clinics as are found at similar festivals, and coordination and inclusiveness with Niagara Francophone and Indigenous Communities.
- Sustainability and Accessibility Strategy
- Event Budget Assumption
Event Timelines | Critical Path
Provide a detailed planning timeline & critical path from commencement of contract date to submission of event final reporting. KPI check points should be identified within timelines.
In addition with the firm’s onsite management team, Niagara 2021 CSG expects the firm to execute Niagara Place working with volunteer resources from the Niagara 2021 Games Services Committee (GSC); including students from both Niagara College and Brock University.
The Proposal should include a detailed view of scheduling assumptions for the entire festival programming covering roles, responsibilities, and number of shifts and required volunteers.
Production & Management Fees
Our decision process will be to secure a partner who’s services best delivers the goals of the Niagara 2021 CSG , while also being cost effective. Current budget associated with this RFP is $25,000 plus HST; however negotiable based on event strategy put forth.
The Niagara 2021 CSG Host Society is not looking for a vendor with a fee for service approach. Instead, it is our belief that all vendors associated with the Niagara 2021 CSG become strategic event partners offering both fee for service; as well as, Value In-Kind (VIK) opportunities.
We encourage vendors to include budget relieving VIK (a reduction in cost to the requirements outlined in the Scope of Work), as well as enhanced VIK (additional services or features, not specifically outlined in the Scope of Work).
Final Reporting Process
Please outline the firm’s process on closing the event and reporting outcomes to the Host Society.
SECTION SIX | FP GENERAL
Please provide the name, address, and phone number of three (3) current clients, who would be capable of explaining and confirming your firm’s capacity to successfully complete the scope of the work outlined herein.
All material produced, data collected, and reports generated by the subcontractor on behalf of Niagara 2021 CSG are confidential and become exclusive property of Niagara 2021 CSG. The contractor may not share program materials, customer data, industry or program participant contact information, etc. unless explicitly authorized by Niagara 2021 CSG to do so.
This RFP does not commit to pay any costs incurred in the preparation of a proposal or to procure or contract for services. Niagara 2021 CSG reserves the right to accept or reject any or all proposals received as a result of this RFP, to negotiate with all qualified bidders and to cancel the RFP, in part or in its entirety at its sole discretion.
Niagara 2021 CSG reserves the right to refuse to work with any partners, vendors or sponsors that may reflect negatively on the organization, Niagara Place and/or any Games stakeholder.
Additional Information or Clarification
All questions and requests for clarification should be submitted with the contact listed below. Questions and answers will be documented and distributed to all bidders. If necessary, an addendum will be issued.
Please be certain to include the name and contact details of the persons to be approached for clarification of the proposal if needed.
Niagara 2021 CSG requires one (1) electronic copy of your proposal along with an event photo portfolio and/or website hyperlink.
Submissions are to be sent to:
Vittoria Wikston, CMP, CMM
Senior Manager | Marketing & Community Relations
2021 Canada Games Host Society Inc.